I think that the Amazon model may be as significant a step in commercial innovation as the assembly line or the department store. One Click shopping is just absolute genius.
My most recent purchases:
- A wisk broom- an old fashioned corn fiber wisk broom I have been unable to find at auto supply or hardware stores. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KDDLQ2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Grid-It Organziers- the handiest way to keep rechargers, pens and business cards and such together in the flattest possible space. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HU4AGG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Tovolo Sphere Ice Molds- makes a large round ice ball that melts very slowly in a glass of scotchhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ACTN54/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Pedeflex File Folders- I used to be able to pick these up at Staples and Office Depot but now they only carry the cheap file folders. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IEYB/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- A compact Sentry Safe- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M190VI/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- A Brother PT 2030AD label maker- $15 cheaper ($35 vs $49- at the time- it has since gone up to the same price) than Office Depot (free shipping on Amazon Prime) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046TPX3K/ref=oh_details_o08_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- HP96/97 Ink Cartridges http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K5Y4UC/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- A book (yes they still sell these) Gun Control in the Third Reich: Disarming the Jews and the Enemies of the State by Stephen Holbrook. ( was not available on a IBook download). http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598131613/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- A Desantis leather holster for my new Sig P938 9mm pistol http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009PTT5Z8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- An egg poacher http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CGSYBM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- A box of Lithium Batteries for my Surefire Flashlights http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UX93OQ/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Kind low glycemic fruit and nut food bars- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JKUBZM/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Safety glasses for work- I had a problem finding glasses that fit comfortably over my eyeglasses with lenses that did not distort. I tried a few different types and these were the best. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001924G8K/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- A Colt Tactical neck knife- I find these very handy boating on the river- (no longer links)
- And another interesting looking neck knife (damn you one-click shopping) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZSVRLE/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- A book on the Olympus OM-D https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-history?ie=UTF8&orderFilter=months-6&ref_=oss_pagination_1_2&search=&startIndex=10&
- A Gustbuster Umbrella https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-history?ie=UTF8&orderFilter=months-6&ref_=oss_pagination_1_2&search=&startIndex=10&
- A Rare Frank Zappa Poster http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6R478W/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Amazon is cheaper 87% of the time, but most of these were items that I could never have found in Macon. Never once had to wait in line, never once had to be put on hold. It is the state of the art shopping experience.
I would hate to be in a location bound product retailer. With the exception of clothing and firearms I just do not know how one would compete.
While some moral supremacists blast location bound retailers for making their employees work on holidays, the sales system at Amazon and most online retailers are available 24/7 – 365 days a year – all holidays included. Nobody is protesting them. This seems a little unfair.
Elitists who know more than the market also criticize the minimum wages paid at most retailers, even threatening to boycott some. How do you boycott Amazon? Does anyone protest what Amazon pays? Does anybody know? Does anybody care? Think how many human touches have been removed from the buying and shopping process.